Monday, November 3, 2008

Thoughts on a week

My last day in Denver was filled with knocking on doors, meeting people and talking about issues that matter. Paul and I walked two different neighborhoods on the Get Out The Vote campaign, and even with the Broncos game on in the afternoon, I think we reached some people.

As I sat at the Denver airport (I would have written this there last night, but either their WiFi or my computer is janky), I revisited my week in the Rockies. From sign making to phone calls; precinct walking to packet assembly, we were busy working for a new tomorrow, not only for Coloradans but also all Americans. Memories of my week in Denver will include talking with undecided voters about Barack Obama and Colorado's anti-worker amendments, miles and miles of walking neighborhoods to distribute literature, early morning breakfasts with my CSEA family as we loaded on carbs before hitting the pavement for a long day, and downtime spent getting to know my brothers and sisters better and making new friends. Oh, and I mustn't forget the weather. It's a good thing I packed an extra suitcase full of heavy clothes since I barely even wore a light jacket the whole week (75 degrees and sunny!). If anything, I should have packed sunblock!

I'll remember the hard work and diligence of our union brothers and sisters--especially those of us from CSEA. Everybody from the Denver area unions marveled at how hard CSEA members worked on the campaign. I am really proud of our people. When it needed to get done, CSEA was there.

I am thankful for this opportunity I've been given. To be able to work on the most important election campaign of my generation is an honor. I will be able to look back on these days for the rest of my life and say "I was there. I helped make a difference. We worked together to reclaim our future. We created change." And really, that's what Barack Obama's campaign has been about ... Americans coming together to find solutions to what ails our country; regular folks working to change our direction; the power of good people focused on an idea of hope; the ability of compassion to sweep an entire nation.

Eightteen months ago, we didn't know where this train was headed. Even a year ago, the light at the end of tunnel seemed so far away (and we didn't even know where we were headed). But now, with Election Day tomorrow and the dream so close, we are standing at the precipice of a new world. Never before in my lifetime has something felt so important; never have I felt that my cause was so righteous; never have I felt so positive about what tomorrow will bring. This is "our" defining moment, our chance to feel like we really do matter, and that we really can effect change in this mixed-up world.

Tomorrow is the day we realize the power we have when we focus our skills and abilities. Tomorrow is the day we turn over a new leaf. Tomorrow is the day the people will speak, and men, women and children will weep openly at the wonder of what we have accomplished.

Tomorrow, we elect Barack Obama the President of the United States of America.

Tomorrow, we change the world.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

jay

No comments:

Post a Comment