Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"And I hope you are still supporting Barack Obama for president"

Wednesday started bright and early with breakfast and a trip to the Colorado state headquarters of the AFL-CIO. Following a short training, we were on the phones talking to absentee voters.

While the computer auto-dialer wasn't for everybody, I enjoyed working my way through phone calls with a few clicks of the mouse. I had a simple mission: ask the person who answered the phone whether they had received their absentee ballots and whether they already sent it in. If they said yes, great! If no, then I talked about the anti-worker amendments: 54, 49 and 47 (purposely listed out of order). Then, for the first time since I've been here, I got to say "and I hope you are still supporting Barack Obama for president." Every time I asked that question, they person said "of course," with one woman saying "now if only I can convince my husband."

In the four hours we made phone calls, the six or so people making calls rang about 1,300 numbers. I'd say a good amount of those people were not home, but we left them messages! One thing that stuck out to me was the different names of the people I called: Fern, Viola, Mary Lou, Emmy ... I like names that you don't see that often anymore--there are interesting trends of how first names become popular and then not so much. I didn't call any Julians, but I did call a Jay.


After we finished phone banking, Paul and I went to the Glendale Civic Center in Glendale, a Denver suburb, to speak to people coming to vote early about the anti-worker propositions. There was a sign marking the 100 feet away from the polling place that we had to stay behind. Electioneering at a polling place is a misdemeanor in Colorado, and neither Paul or I wanted to fall on the wrong side of the law:


At first, I was a little wary of the reception we would get from would-be voters on their way to do their civic duty, but I was pleasantly surprised. Paul and I talked to at least 60 people over the next two and a half hours. Many told us they were already voting against the propositions and some said they weren't sure and allowed us to educate them on the initatives. Only a couple completely blew us off, and even one who said he was going to vote against us actually stood around and debated the issues with us. Even if we disagreed, we had civil discourse. I thought that was pretty cool.



All in all, I feel like this was the best day yet in Denver. I feel like I reached people today and potentially motivated people to vote a particular way. It was a great feeling.



My dad called me today and told me that Colorado is officially being called a Blue State for Obama, and it is primarily due to Denver and the surrounding suburbs, where Barack has a commanding lead (he's doubled it). And here I am, right in the center of it. Wow.







I just finished watching the Barack Obama piece on television and ... I'm speechless. The vision, the emotion and the hope embodied in the piece was touching and amazing. Choking back tears at times, I am energized by his words, and the change we are about to make. Obama said in a week, we will choose hope over fear, choose the power of change over the status quo, and choose our own history. He asked everyone of us to knock on doors for change, make phone calls, and standy by him and fight by his side.



"We will win this election and together we will change this country and change the world," Obama said.



Let's all heed his call.

No comments:

Post a Comment