Friday, October 31, 2008

Rocks, Schnitzel and Post-Modern Expressionism




Our diligence and efforts over the past four days afforded us a day off on Friday, Halloween. Paul and I decided we weren't going to spend the whole day sleeping in (though the thought did cross my mind) so we got up early and had breakfast before picking up Nancy and heading for Red Rocks.




The towering, sloping giant rocks spiked into the sky like the back of a massive stegosaurus. Deep red and golden orange hues welcomed us to the truly masterful beauty. The large outdoor amphitheatre at Red Rocks is host to large muscal and performance events ... all done at higher than 6,000 feet elevation. I must say, the Red Rocks were not only impressive, they were soul enriching.




Having spent so much time in the suburbs of Denver since arriving, we all decided to head downtown to visit the Denver Art Museum. First, though, we had to grab a bite for lunch!


After parking near the Colorado State Capitol, we set off to find a spot to eat. We all agreed the high-starch, hastily eaten meals consumed over the week had left us craving some fresh made food we could eat slowly and enjoy. Enter Cafe Berlin, which seemed to pop up like a mirage at an oasis. When I ordered my wiener schnitzel, spaetzel and sauerkraut, the waiter asked me something in German, resulting in me giving him an odd look. He then asked "onions?" and I said sure. He noted that I had great pronounciation in German so he assumed I spoke the language. I told him I spent some time in Berlin and learned the language enough to get around, but not enough to have a good conversation. I thought it was a cool compliment. The food was spectacular! We all agreed that the German cuisine was a welcome and much-needed change from the norm.


We then headed to the museum, which is massive and well known for its well-rounded collection. We started with the Houdon exhibit, which is on loan from the Louvre. Sculpted busts bearing the likenesses of Rousseau, Benjamin Franklin and George Washington were so life-like. I really enjoyed seeing these historic pieces.
Then, I wandered into the special exhibit of German artist Daniel Richter, and was completely floored. The work was both political and abstract. I was amazed with the way he explored history, utilized graffiti, and gave many nods to German artists of the past. I was so impressed, I bought the exhibit catalog. It's been a while since I found myself so enthralled with an artist. I definitely recommend everybody take a look at his work.
All in all, a relaxing and enriching day. Tomorrow starts early, and will be a lot of walking throughout the nighborhoods of Denver, encouraging people to vote on Tuesday. Tomorrow night, Paul, Bob and I will head for the Nuggets home opener against the LA Lakers. I can't wait to see Kobe and Iverson up close (we've got good seats -- you know how I do). After that, it will be one more working day before heading home on Sunday night. Then, on to the celebration Tuesday night, when we usher in a new era in our country.
Please make sure you go to the polls and vote for Barack Obama. Be a part of the reclaiming of our country.
jay

No comments:

Post a Comment