Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It's not hard to make signs

The 5 a.m. alarm came far too soon, but the smell of coffee in the air and the prospect of my 7:15 a.m. flight gave me the gumption to get moving. Tamara drove me to the airport and blinking away tears we said "see you in a week."

I arrived in Denver to 39 degree weather. Clear, but 39 degrees. The day before I left Cali, it was 82 degrees. Gah, it's going to be cold! Good thing Tamara insisted I bring gloves and a scarf (thanks bubs!).

After a stop for lunch, we went to the state offices for the AFL-CIO, located in a non-descript building and filled with people running around and making phone calls and such. While we waited for our assignment, we started building lawn signs. The signs are for the No on 47, 49 and 54 campaign, which we will be working pretty heavily, I hear. These propositions, called amendments here, are a right-to-work initiative and two other anti-worker proposals. It's important for working people that these propositions fail.

So, making signs is really not that difficult. You take a poly-plastic sign and stretch it over a pair of metal stakes. I'd say we made signs for about four hours yesterday! When we finished, our fingers were covered in metallic dust, kind of like the old ladies who play the quarter slots all day.

We were told we would report to the local Communication Workers of America office on Tuesday to walk some precincts. Later this week, we will be doing Get Out the Vote work to make sure people go to the polls.

I heard about the arrests of the skinheads in Tennessee yesterday, and I feel like I have to say something. It's despicable and deplorable that this kind of hatred still exists in our country. I had to read the story twice, hoping that the words would change and that the story wasn't true, but it didn't happen. It makes me want to work that much more to create change in our country. We will not be bullied by ignorance and fear. We will unite and create change. We will come together regardless of our differences and work toward a better and brighter tomorrow. We will not be swayed.

That's all for now. Talk to you all soon

No comments:

Post a Comment