Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Walking around Churrrrrrrry Creeeekkk

Our day started after noon today, but Paul and I were a little antsy so we left a little early to get our assignment. We arrived at the Communication Workers of America site in the south Denver metropolitan area. After a short training session, Paul and I were on our way to Cherry Creek, one of the most affluent areas in Denver.

The houses were massive and immaculate. There were boxes on many of the porches for fancy milk to be delivered (first, who knew that milk still got delivered? Second, why pay extra to have milk delivered? Last, does this mean the milkman is still an occupation, and do they get to wear the cool white uniform). We had two packets of lists--143 households in total--to visit today.

For most households, we were only to advocate against Amendments 47, 49 and 54, but for union members, we could also ask for votes for Barack Obama. In such an affluent area, I thought there would be more people home during the daytime, but we overwhelmingly had no response to doorbell rings. I would estimate we made contact with a little more than 20 percent of voters in the homes we visited. Most people did not want to talk about how they voted. I think people in Colorado are tired of the election season. You only have to turn on the television to see ads on both sides of every race bashing the opposing view. Even the gas station attendant said "I just can't wait for the election to be over."

In the midst of walking all over Cherry Creek, I realized that I was getting tired quicker. Then I remembered that the elevation here is much, much higher than at home (seeing as how we're at sea level!). You definitely feel it when you walk around. Oh, and when you say Cherry Creek, you need to clench your teeth and then say it, so it comes out "Churrry Creeeek." That's what I heard anyway.

One major item of note was that the Obama signs in this ridiculously affluent neighborhood outnumbered McCain signs by about three-to-one. This was a thrilling and surprising discovery. I usually figure that the larger your house is the more likely you are to vote republican, but Barack is transcending these traditional rules-of-thumb. It's discoveries like these that make me believe that change is coming.

After tallying our numbers, we called it a day and went back to the hotel for food. Tomorrow, we will be making phone calls for about four hours, starting at 9:30 a.m. On Thursday, we'll be assembling materials to get out the vote and the rest is a mystery for now (though we do have Friday off). I'm not great at working without a definite plan, but I'm trying hard to remain as flexible as possible. I know that with only a week until the election, the campaign strategies are changing by the minute.

It was nice to hit the streets today, and phone calls will be cool tomorrow. I think I'm going to get a little taste of a lot of tasks during my time here. Good thing I like variety.

Until next time, this is Churrrrrryy Creeeeeekkk signing off.

1 comment: